Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Meaningful Management

To manage...

I know many people who one day hope to become managers in their respective careers. People who hold aspirations of climbing the corporate ladder, gaining influence and power, status and, in all probability, wealth.

But sometimes I wonder whether these people realise what they are asking for. And, without being offensive, I wonder if they have, or will EVER have, what it takes to be GOOD managers in their respective fields.

I'm very cynical about this sort of stuff. You see, I believe that most people in this day and age court the position title without ever really understanding the position description. Sad to think about, really.

If memory serves me correctly, I am actually a manager for my Dad's corporation in Philippines. And have been so for about 1.5 years. Pretty cool, hey? Of course, I'm getting paid $0 per year (worse than slave labour), I don't get any company benefits and up until now I've had very little say in what happens to the company apart from using social engineering to bombard Daddy Lim with an idea until he absolutely has to do something about it.

There has to be a better way.

So right now I'm taking the liberty of defining a new role for myself in this company. Using my smattering of experience in database and webpage design, research skills honed by years of physiotherapy study, and several modules in tourism marketing, I will now assume responsibility of the Corporation's marketing department. Which places me in charge of a grand total of 0.5 staff (that means the half-hearted receptionist because she's too nice to let me do this by myself).

There's alot of work to do, as the last two days have shown me. For example, I've got several books open in front of me detailing the intricacies of creating a 'Destination Website" for hotels. And then I've got another few pages on information regarding the evolution of travel iteneraries for modern backpackers and businesses. Trying to meld all the information together feels a little bit like juggling... you've seen the rhythm of it before, but the first time you pick it up, it just won't work for you.

But I'm trying. After all, I'm determined not to accept the title without having done the required work first.

No comments: